1. THEY HAVE FUN TOGETHER. Don’t just do the work together or raise kids together ... do the fun together too!
2. THEY GET EXCITED ABOUT THE THINGS THEIR SPOUSE GETS EXCITED ABOUT. If it isn’t necessarily your ‘cup of tea’, so what! Try a sip! You may just like it. If you husband loves baseball ... take an interest in it. If you wife likes gardening ... take an interest in it.
3. THEY KNOW THEIR SPOUSE'S WEAKNESSES ... AND LOVE THEM ANYWAY. Isn’t that what best friends are for? “A friend loves at all times…” (Proverbs 17:17).
4. THEY PRAISE THEIR SPOUSE. Make them feel good about themselves. Would you want to spend time with someone who only makes you feel worthless and insecure? Certainly not. So, affirm your spouse's best qualities. Celebrate their wins.
5. THEY EXTEND GRACE AND FORGIVENESS. Even the best of friends have a bad day, say a hurtful things or disappoint us in some way. Offer the grace in those moments that you’d want in return. If you want a friendship that lasts, a marriage that endures, you must forgive both big and small.
6. THEY PUT THEIR SPOUSE FIRST. Don’t let your spouse just be one of your friends. Don’t just let your spouse be a best friend. Make them your most important friend. Your relationship with your spouse should come before any other relationship in your life, short of your relationship with the Lord.
SO, how are you doing on this list?