Where To Turn When You're Under The Weather

Even fit and healthy individuals have days when they don’t feel quite right. If you’re under the weather, do you know what to do or where to go to get the help you need? If you’ve got a poorly child on your hands, you’ve been injured in an accident, or you can’t seem to shake off an illness, this guide will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Urgent care and emergencies
Nobody wants to think about the possibility of falling ill suddenly or being involved in an accident, but the reality is that nobody knows what’s around the corner. If you find yourself in a situation when you need urgent help, don’t hesitate to call 911. Emergency departments are reserved for those who have potentially life-threatening conditions and injuries that require immediate attention.

If you’re not feeling well, you’ve developed sudden pains, or you have an injury that needs checking out, but your life isn’t at risk, and you’re conscious and able to hobble around, visit an urgent care clinic rather than the Emergency Room. You can find location details here or use your phone to locate services close to you. If you’re worried about your child, use your intuition. If you have any doubts at all and you think their symptoms could be a sign of something sinister, go straight to the ER.

Minor injuries and ailments
If you’ve tripped over and now you have a sore ankle, or you’ve been struggling with an upset stomach or flu for the last few days, you probably won’t need to go to hospital, but it’s a good idea to seek advice. Call your doctor and schedule an appointment. When you go for your consultation, your doctor will ask you some questions about your symptoms, and they may also examine you and do some simple tests, like checking your blood pressure. If there is a risk that your symptoms may be indicative of something more serious, you may be required to have further tests and your doctor will advise you what to do next. Often, minor ailments and injuries can be treated by family doctors using treatments like medication.

General advice
If you need general advice or tips about healthy eating, giving up smoking, starting a new exercise regime or trying to prevent winter coughs and colds, your pharmacist will be able to help. You could also contact your doctor and arrange a phone consultation or pop into a local health clinic and pick up some leaflets and brochures.

We all have days when we wake up without that spring in our step. If you’re not feeling well, it’s important that you know where to turn to get the help or advice you need. In most cases, you may not even need treatment and a combination of rest and over the counter medication will be sufficient to get you back on your feet, but if you need urgent assistance, don’t hesitate to act quickly. If you’ve been poorly for a few days, you’ve got unexpected or unexplained symptoms, or you’re worried about your health, contact your doctor and arrange an appointment. Remember that it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Post a Comment

Thanks for the blogging Love

© Take A Walk In My Shoes. Design by FCD.